SPCA of Northern Nevada
Want to make a difference and do meaningful, life-saving work surrounded by adorable dogs and cats? Then join our team and save homeless pets through storytelling, marketing, community relations, and event planning! The Communications Manager of the SPCA of Northern Nevada (SPCANN) is responsible for creating and managing all internal and external stakeholder communications including, media coordination, print collateral, press releases, social media, website, and email marketing. The ideal candidate can create and foster strategic relationships throughout the community to increase the presence of the SPCANN and drive donations and pet adoptions. The ideal candidate will also have experience in graphic design, website development, videography, photography, and event planning. Creativity, collaboration, and strategic communication are vital to this position in order to save the lives of homeless pets.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work to develop strategic direction for SPCANN digital properties, including spcanevada.org, Constant Contact e-newsletters, and social media including Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Write/publish content to spcanevada.org (blog articles, videos, landing pages, forms, etc.) and ensure content is appropriately promoted across social media platforms as needed.
- Collaborate with leadership to generate, edit, publish, and share daily content (original text, images, or video,) that builds meaningful connections and encourages community members to take action and increase engagement.
- Create and maintain an SPCANN brand/style guide.
- Monitor all user-generated content online to assure compliance with the moderation policy for each community.
- Continuously improve SPCANN social media presence by creating original content and analyzing the appropriate social analytics/metrics, insights, and best practices, to adjust accordingly.
- Create day-to-day and long-term editorial calendars, driving increasing page views, and boosting engagement, and click-thru traffic on social media platforms.
- Update and maintain the SPCANN Google AdWords, and Google Analytics accounts to drive SEO.
- Ensure emails are mobile responsive and sent in proper form and template.
- Utilize website and social media analytics to provide insights into impact of produced content.
- Create graphic design elements for e-newsletter, websites, social media, & special events.
- Work with internal departments to create new opportunities to generate leads and data regarding potential new donors/customers.
- Provide timely, eloquent interviews for the media for weekly Pet of the Week segments on TV and Radio, and respond to media requests for special events. Coordinate appropriate on-camera interviews to showcase the organization.
- Drive communications process including logistics for major SPCANN announcements including press conferences, conference calls, community events, and media adoption center tours.
- Build and foster collaborative relationships with Development, Volunteer, Adoption Center, Clinic, and Thrift Store departments to stay informed and abreast of new initiatives, programs and other organization-wide events.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be KIND to animals and
- Confident, positive, and mature attitude.
- 1+ years’ work experience with a 4-year college degree in Marketing, Journalism, Communications, Business, New Media, or Public Relations, or a related field is preferred. However, any combination of education, training, or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be considered.
- Strong understanding of and experience on all major social media platforms –Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and YouTube.
- Impeccable interpersonal, verbal, written, presentation, and communication skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Fluency in English. Additional language skills strongly desired.
- Strong proof reading skills.
- Ability to write copy in different styles, including writing for SEO purposes.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required.
- Knowledge of Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Illustrator) a plus.
- An eye for layout and design (typography, complementary colors, etc.).
- Ability to multi-task and meet multiple deadlines.
- Needs to have a strong work ethic, personal initiative, and ownership of work to produce high-quality deliverables.
- Must have a positive approach and team building spirit.
- Ability to work under deadlines and for extended hours.
- Ability to work some weekends, evenings, and early mornings as necessary for events.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time up to two hours.
- Must be able to use a computer keyboard, mouse, phone, copier, and other office equipment, as required.
- May involve periods of standing for up to several hours if giving a presentation or working at an event.