The Communications Manager, Advancement and Engagement (Manager) is primarily responsible for managing media relations for the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine (UNR Med). The position is also a primary spokesperson for the school on media-related matters. The Manager reports to the Communications Marketing Director and works directly with the Senior Director, Advancement and Engagement on media relations matters.
As an integral member of Advancement and Engagement (A+E), the Communications Manager supports UNR Med’s integrated communications marketing initiatives through strategic and proactive national, regional and local media relations, content development, publications and communications counsel. The position’s foremost role leads UNR Med’s national, statewide and local media relations efforts to increase awareness of UNR Med by identifying, developing, pursuing and placing news stories in the media and through UNRMed-owned media (e.g. newsletters, Synapse, web and other content channels). The Communications Manager further serves UNR Med key internal audiences “clients” by assisting with and consulting on public relations, media relations and other communications-related topics.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop an annual media relations plan to maximize UNR Med national, statewide and local news opportunities with target audiences
- Develop an annual news release and editorial calendar to further increase the school’s awareness and position the Dean and key faculty as industry experts
- Build and maintain positive media relationships (local, rural, statewide and national)
- Identify, develop and proactively pitch reporters to secure targeted earned media placements
- Serve as UNR Med’s primary point of contact for all media inquiries, responding swiftly to reporter requests, including coordinating interviews, identifying expert sources, providing photos and scheduling filming locations
- Develop, recommend best practices and oversee the implementation of a UNR Med Newsroom, working with the Senior Director, Communications Marketing Director and the Web Technology Marketing Manager for input and to execute
- Draft/edit news releases, including target media distribution
- Utilize UNR Med media software (Cision) to build and maintain custom media distribution lists
- Research and draft guest columns, op-eds, FAQs, e-newsletter articles, blog posts and other external-facing content that engages key audiences, collaborating with the Content Marketing Manager to schedule content
- Train and prepare faculty and staff for media interviews
- Coordinate, accompany and manage on-campus media visits, including news conferences and interview opportunities that protect patient and student privacy
- Attend UNR Med events and conduct research and interviews with stakeholders to tell compelling stories
- Translate technical topics into easily understood communication by diverse audiences
- Manage and monitor media coverage; report results/metrics to key UNR Med audiences
- Provide proactive PR and media relations support to Advancement and Engagement’s Special Events and Development teams to increase awareness, impact attendance and drive engagement
- Serve as project manager and writer for Synapse magazine managing freelance/contractor support
For nearly 50 years the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine (UNRMed) has trained physicians who are leading the way to ‘A Healthy Nevada,’ nation and world. Community-based and research-intensive, UNR Med was founded upon a three-part mission of education, research and service and is committed to the values of compassion, diversity, excellence, integrity, respect, safety, service and stewardship. The University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine is an inclusive and engaged community. We recognize that diverse faculty and leaders add value to the educational experience and promote excellence in our teaching, patient care, and research missions. We seek applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences who can contribute towards our mission, and uphold our core values.
Our mission has guided our growth in graduating the next generation of primary and specialty care physicians and medical researchers, while maintaining personalized instruction. We are building new residencies to train medical specialists, and expanding technologically-advanced infrastructure to keep pace with our world-class research to meet the needs of students, patients and researchers. The School of Medicine has a statewide outreach with a local touch providing patient care, health services and training physicians in Reno, Nevada and in the state’s rural communities. We seek to create an environment that serves all who enter our doors, from the physicians who teach our learners, to our employees and patients, whose health we seek to improve. For more information on the University and the School of Medicine, please go to http://med.unr.edu/why-faculty
The University of Nevada offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, vision and a very generous 14.5% matching retirement plan. Furthermore, the state of Nevada has no state income tax and a very reasonable cost of living. Please go to www.unr.edu/hr/benefits for more information.
Reno/Tahoe is located just 3 ½ hour drive from San Francisco, and 1 ½ hours from the Sacramento area. Reno/Tahoe area is one of the country’s outdoor meccas with mild weather, four seasons and over 300 days of sunshine per year. Within less than an hour drive you will find several famous winter sports resorts (such as Squaw Valley, the host of the 1960 Winter Olympic Games) and hundreds of mountain biking and hiking trails (including the 165-mile Lake Tahoe Rim Trail).
For more information on Reno/Tahoe, please visit:
Contact Rebecca Rumbaugh at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.